Welcome to the Node.js Redis Crash Course. I'm Simon Prickett, Developer Advocacy Manager at Redis.
In this course, you'll learn about using Redis with Node.js through a blend of video and text-based training. You can also get hands-on with some optional workshop exercises where you'll add new functionality to an existing Node.js application.
By following the materials in this course, you can expect to learn about:
- What Redis is and where to find it.
- The benefits of adding Redis to your stack, when and how to use it.
- How to leverage Redis in the context of a modern Node.js Express application with the ioredis client.
- Using RedisInsight to browse and manage a Redis instance.
- Modeling domain objects with Redis Hashes, querying them with RediSearch.
- Storing and querying document data with the RedisJSON module.
- Asynchronous messaging and fast data ingestion with Redis Streams.
- Speeding up response times with Redis caching and Express middleware.
- Scaling your application using Redis as a session store for Express.
To get the most from this course, you'll need a machine that can run Node.js applications, plus Docker as we'll be using a container that includes Redis and the required add-on modules for this course.
You'll need the following installed on your machine:
- Docker (you'll need the docker-compose command)
- Node.js (use the current Long Term Stable - LTS - version)
- git command line tools
- Your favorite IDE (we like VSCode, but anything you're comfortable with works)
- Postman - we're going to make some API calls and Postman makes that easy.
Sign up for the Redis Discord where you can ask me anything about the course!